Afternoon snack is ready for the kiddos!
Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus
2 cloves garlic
2 cans (15 oz size) Garbanzo beans drained and rinsed.
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
Place all ingredients in food processor reserving olive oil. Blend everything together then slowly start adding in the oil until the desired consistency is reached. I topped mine with some diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
This made 2 cups of hummus.
Nutrition based on serving of 1 tablespoon
4 g of fat
6 g carbohydrate
1 g protein
1 g fiber
From our very own Cycling Chef, better known as Trainer – Todd Morgan
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup peach nectar
- Touch vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Put the peaches and raspberries on a baking sheet and roast, turning once, until very soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Remove to a plate and let cool. The fruit can be roasted a day ahead of time and stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 1 day.
Combine the fruit, yogurt, peach nectar, vanilla and 1 cup ice cubes in a blender and blend until smooth. Divide among 2 large glasses. You can also add your favorite protein powder or shake mix for added benefits.
I love summer barbecues but I fear it will hinder my weight loss do you have any suggestions to stay on track?
The Summertime pastime of outdoor cookouts is a great time to spend with family and friends but you are right to be worried; did you know that an average barbecue meal can easily exceed 1500 calories? That is almost an entire days worth of calories all in one meal.
That is the bad news but the good news is you can do some easy changes and survive the barbecue season while making summertime the perfect opportunity for weight loss. Here are a few tips to keep your weight loss on track.
1. Choose the right meat: Grilling can actually be a very healthy way to cook meat. Just make sure to choose lean cuts of meat and ditch the traditional highly fatty barbecued meats, burgers and hotdogs.
- Choose chicken, lean cuts of beef or pork
- Use a low fat dressing for a marinade
- Want a hamburger? no problem use extra-lean ground beef or lean ground turkey.
- Make a dry rub and top with a fruit salsa
- Grill up some of your favorite fish
2. Don’t let side dishes sabotage your efforts: Most people run into trouble with the sides. Who can blame them at most barbecues all the dishes are loaded with carbs and fat.
Try this instead:
- Make veggie kabobs and grill them
- Grill bok choy or romaine
- Replace mayo in your salads with low fat mayo or olive oil
- Serve a mixed salad with a light vinaigrette
- Grill your favorite veggies – squash and asparagus are great on the grill
- Put out a veggie tray with a low fat dip
3. Easy on the drinks: It is so easy to grab a margarita but it can quickly turn into 3 or 4. Remember that beverages can play a major role in your weight gain. Drink plenty of water Stick with light beer If you must have a soda stick with diet Unsweetened ice tea Flavored water – fill a pitcher with water and add some lemon, orange, lime and some mint leaves let set for a few hours and serve.
4. Say yes to dessert: I bet I surprised you with this one. You can still enjoy a sweet treat while losing weight just think creatively and watch your portions. Grill your favorite fruits on a kabob (i.e.: mango, banana and pineapple) Choose sorbet over ice-cream Grilled peach halves Choose light ice-cream over regular
Take my grilling suggestions grab your family and friends, fire up the grill and make some great summer memories.
Scott, I have tried so many different diets and fitness routines and although some of them helped me lose weight I have never been able to keep the weight off, what can I do for long-term results that will last?
Oh I wish that you could start a fitness program and get amazing results that would never go away; unfortunately that is not the case. In order to see long lasting results you have to create a Lifestyle where you are dedicated to your health and fitness. When it comes to your body, the two habits that define your physique are your eating and exercise habits. In fact, everyone that you know who is in great shape has dialed in these two important habits. The first step in this process is to create these healthy Habits.
Making a habit.
Use these 7 steps to create a healthy habit.
- Choose ONE new healthy lifestyle choice and get really great at it.
- Write that new lifestyle choice down and list the reasons for it.
- You also want to make note of any obstacles that may stand in your way and how to overcome them.
- Make this new choice a priority, this is your ONE new healthy obsession and nothing gets in its way.
- Fully commit to it by letting other people know about it so that you are held accountable; This is really easy to do in Facebook.
- Keep track of how often you successfully act on this new choice.
- Reward yourself for your success; Rewards should never be food-based rewards. Reward yourself with things that will mean something to you, something that you will remember!
Once this healthy lifestyle choice becomes second nature to you (usually in about 30 days) and you no longer have to think about it, it has now become a habit and it is now time to add another healthy choice to the list.
See what we are doing here? We are working on creating a healthy lifestyle where you will be able to lose the unwanted lbs and keep them off by continuing to live these new healthy habits. I am not going to lie to you; this is not an easy task. It is reported that as many as 95% of people who lose weight regardless of the method will put some or all of that weight back on. Remember that the magic pill truly does not exist. There are no real shortcuts that will allow you to keep the weight off. The Fads that you see out there are just that, a quick fix that will shortly wear off and fade away. The only real cure to what ales you is a Healthy nutrition plan where you enjoy the foods that you eat and a great exercise routine that changes regularly so you do not get bored. If you want long-term results then you must create a healthy lifestyle that you can continue throughout your life!
I am trying to lose weight. Do I have to stop drinking alcohol?
If there is a topic that will just NOT stop coming up when I talk to my clients, it is ALCOHOL. “Can I still drink? How much is ok? Do I really have to stop drinking?” I have always answered these questions exactly the same. How fast do you want to see results? The truth is no matter how much you like alcohol it will NEVER help you reach your goals.
Lets first take a look at why alcohol is so detrimental to weight loss? The first thing we have to consider is the calories in alcohol. There are 7 calories per gram of alcohol. Just one glass of white wine or an ounce of hard liquor provides about 90 calories; a regular beer 150, martini 210 and a strawberry daiquiri 300. If you add mixers the calories can double. The calories that alcohol provides are “empty” this means they provide no beneficial nutrients. Not only are you adding additional calories to your body but the metabolism process in our bodies slows. Alcohol can’t be stored in our bodies so it must be metabolized right away. This stops or slows all other metabolic functions causing your body to burn the alcohol before the fat you are trying to lose.
I know what you are thinking “what if I just have 2 drinks and that’s it?” We both know that no matter what your intentions are, you will end up having more than 2 drinks. This is because it is actually harder to stop drinking that to not start at all. It’s called social drinking for a reason.
Let’s see if this sounds familiar. You have a night planned out with your friends. Before you leave you decide “I’m only going to have 2 drinks tonight, I can do it, I have WILL POWER!” You get to the bar order your first 2 drinks and realize that you did not pace yourself you have only been there for 30 minutes. Everyone else around you is still ordering drinks and you already had 2. Your friends start to harass you for not drinking and you decide well just tonight I will have 3. You cave and end up having 3 more and end up at the McDonalds drive thru at 2 am in the morning. Am I close?
You had the best of intentions, and yet ended up not only drinking more than you planned, but eating some of the WORST fast food in the world.
Here is the best advice I can give you. Order your first drink mixed with something 0 calorie. In between ordering your first and second drink pull the waiter/waitress aside and tell them that for the rest of the night you don’t want any alcohol in your drinks. Tell them no matter what anyone says about buying you a drink, or when you order “another one” you only want the 0 calorie mixer. Give this a try the next time you go out. I’ll bet you will still have just as much fun you won’t wake up hung-over and your fitness goals will still be on track.
I have been working on getting my abs back. Any way I can do it before summer gets here?
Getting strong abs sounds simple, but it is so much more involved than most think. You’ve seen the infomercials selling products guaranteed to create the tightest, flattest tummy in just seconds a day. I am so sorry to deflate the hype balloon but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Truth is, no one exercise or machine will give you the tight, toned abs you want. Not that these devices are bad—In fact, I use ab rollers in my routine. But workout aides alone will not do the trick. Here is the best way to tone abs fast:
Step 1: Eat Clean! Find a healthy nutrition plan, not a diet. Diets have an end date and after all the hard work getting strong and lean, the last thing you want is to end it all by going back to your old eating habits. Good nutrition is key to getting to your goal… and staying there!
Step 2: Work that Body! Targeting a specific body part is fine if you are deficient in that area and want to develop muscle there. I see so many focusing all their energy on “big guns” or “a six-pack” or a “beach bum.” But working the entire body regularly is the fastest way to burn the most fat and increase lean muscle.
Step 3: Turn it up! Get comfortable being uncomfortable. Kick your program up a notch by push your body harder to get more from each workout. Your body adapts to routines quickly so to keep progressing, make sure your routine is ever-evolving. Then, get plenty of rest between workouts; a good night’s sleep is important. Follow these steps to push through the plateaus and you will have your tummy toned by the time the swimsuit comes out.